Monday, September 1, 2014

My first solo trip - day 1 (Aug 29, 2014)

Life, they say, sometime is full of surprises. Or maybe I should rather use the word opportunity. Yeah, that does sound better. It is a truer reflection of a sequence of events of the previous week.

Janneke was to go away for nearly a week, including the weekend. She went visiting some of the kids, whom either work or study up country. Another goal was for her to visit her parents who recently moved into a home for the elder.

I, on the other hand, saw an opportunity to do a bike trip. I arranged to take the day off from  office and thus my first ever multi-day solo trip materialized. I planned a rough route to follow for the Friday and Saturday. Objective was to do gravel roads as far as possible. Sunday would have to be easy, it would have to be tar all the way home. I would be traveling east from Cape Town. As for overnight stays I decided to sleep where I was at the end of the day.

So, I left home around 08h30 Friday morning. First goal was to savely negotiate Sir Lowry's pass. The road was wet. It was misty at the top. Traffic wasn't to bad on a Friday morning.

Soon, it took the turnoff to Viljoenshoop. Next goal was to travel the gravel road from Grabouw to Kleinmond. The road went via Highlands.

Up and up the road went.

Then, down she went again.

I safely got to Hermanus. I had to make sure the pig had enough juice on board.

The sea was quiet, not showing any evidence from a couple of stormy days we had in the Cape.

After a cup of coffee across the road from "Frans se klip", off to Stanford I went. En-route one would pass the Klein River Lagoon.

I hit some serious gravel road shortly after turning left on the R43. It was bliss!

On the way to Napier

On the way to Elim, I had some minor challenges to negotiate.

At Struisbaai I stopped for a lunch, I chose a healthy one at that.

Next goal was to cross the Brieƫ River at Malgas pont.

The road continues to Witsand, a little sleepy town where the Breƫ River mouths into the Atlantic Ocean.

The last stretch of the day was all the way to Stilbay.
I stayed for the night